UC presents Observatory Open Day at Ōtehīwai Mt John
Date & Time:
10.00am - 4.00pm
Ōtehīwai Mt John, Takapō
The University of Canterbury’s Observatory on Ōtehīwai Mt John will be open to all ages. Your hosts, astronomy research students and UC astronomers, will show you the mighty telescopes, discuss the world-class research that happens here, and answer your questions — bring your curiosity about everything from black holes to alien worlds!
- This is a guided walk of approximately 500m, therefore some walking fitness required.
- Please dress warmly and wear suitable footwear for walking on uneven terrain.
- Masks must be worn at all times while indoors in the telescope buildings. If you have cold, flu or COVID-19 symptoms, please stay home.
- There is a $8 per vehicle charge to use the access road (which funds road maintenance). Road access is weather dependent, indicated at the road gate.
- Access is also possible via the walking track from lakeside.
- This event is organised and operated by University of Canterbury. Please follow their Covid-19 protocols and other health and safety requirements.